United Presbyterian Church was formed with the merger of First Presbyterian Church and Central Presbyterian Church in 1999. Both churches were established around the turn of the twentieth century.
First Presbyterian Church began in south Shawnee in 1892 as a Union Sunday School and was officially organized as “The Shawnee Presbyterian Church” on May 17, 1895. Services and meetings were held at different locations until 1896, when a church building was erected. The current building was dedicated in 1916. During the flu epidemic of 1918, the basement of the building was used as an auxiliary hospital. A major renovation to the building was made in 1953, and in 1978, the church dedicated a 25-rank Casavant Freres Pipe Organ.
Central Presbyterian Church was organized on January 15, 1908 with thirteen charter members. The first services were held in City Hall, and work on a new building began in 1909. By 1911, Central Presbyterian had 180 members.
First and Central merged on February 14, 1999 to become United Presbyterian Church.